The TSIC Advisory Council Meeting will be held on April 2, 2020 at 11:30am at 2045 Pruitt Street Leesburg, FL 34748
Funds are raised and matched by the Florida Prepaid Foundation. Students receive scholarships upon graduation from a public high school.
Mentors play a vital role in the success of our students. Each student is matched with a mentor when they join the program.
Students graduate from our program better prepared for life after high school, including the hopes of continuing their education.
To break the cycle of poverty for low-income, academically qualified students by providing opportunities for a post-secondary education. We offer college scholarships to students, provide caring volunteer mentors, and instill hope for a better life. Our local program provides students and their families’ inspiration through mentoring, support, and scholarships by empowering them to achieve their dreams of higher education.
How It Works:
How It Works:
In September, Lake Sumter TSIC begins student recruitment. The number of scholarships available depends on previous year’s fundraising outcomes. Students can apply online at TSICLakeSumter.AwardSpring.com. Applications are only open to current 9th grade students who meet the criteria and who believe they will benefit from the Take Stock in Children program. In order to qualify to the student must meet the following criteria:
- Student must demonstrate financial need per the USDA Income Guidelines and be able to provide tax documentation of such need
- Student must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and at least a C in every class
- Student must not have any major attendance or behavioral issues
- Student must have a social security number
- Student must show a desire to succeed and must be able to provide an essay and two letters of recommendation
What does it mean to be a mentor?
Mentors play a vital role in the success of our students and program! Every single student is paired with a mentor.
- Mentors are cleared through the school district, this includes fingerprinting and FDLE background checks.
- We provide training to all new mentors and act as your contact for any questions, problems or concerns.
- Each mentor is carefully assessed to ensure a successful match with a student.
- Mentors meet with their students at least once a week, for 30 minutes each session.
- All mentoring takes place on the school campus, during school hours.
Active mentors are invited to attend workshops, field trips, and meetings that are held throughout the year. We also stay connected with mentors through our Facebook group, through group messaging apps, and through Friday Focus.
We still have students that do not have mentors for the 2019 school year. If you’re interested in helping change a child’s life, please complete this form and we will contact you shortly. We can’t do this without you!
Call: (352) 787-6576
Fax: (352) 787-8087
A Special Thank You to our Sponsors:
Take Stock in Children serving Lake and Sumter Counties began by awarding scholarships to 13 area students in 1996. Today, we’ve assisted more than 600 Lake and Sumter County students with tuition scholarships. This would not be made possible without our sponsors. Interested in sponsoring a student scholarship? Contact us today!