The Take Stock in Children Advisory Council meets bimonthly.
Call: (352) 787-6576
Fax: (352) 326-1498
The next TSIC Advisory Council meeting will be on
Thursday, August 18, 2022, at 11:30 a.m.,
at the Leesburg Resource Center,
1041 Co Rd 468, Leesburg, FL 34748.
How It Works:
In October, Lake Sumter TSIC begins student recruitment. The number of scholarships available depends on previous year’s fundraising outcomes.
The application window for the 2021-2022 School Year is currently closed. During the application cycle students apply online at TSICLakeSumter.AwardSpring.com. Applications are only open to current 9th grade students who meet the criteria and who believe they will benefit from the Take Stock in Children program. To get notifications about our Application Window please sign up for our interest list by clicking HERE.
In order to qualify to the student must meet the following criteria:
- Student must demonstrate financial need per the USDA Income Guidelines and be able to provide tax documentation of such need
- Student must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and at least a C in every class
- Student must not have any major attendance or behavioral issues
- Student must have a social security number
- Student must show a desire to succeed and must be able to provide an essay and two letters of recommendation
- Student must be enrolled in one of these 11 public high schools in Lake or Sumter County:
- East Ridge, Eustis, Lake Minneola, Leesburg, Mount Dora, South Lake, South Sumter, Tavares, The Villages Charter, Umatilla, or Wildwood Middle-High
The deadline to apply for the 2021-2022 School Year has passed. Questions? Call the office at 352-787-6576.
Funds are raised and matched by the Florida Prepaid Foundation. Students receive scholarships upon graduation from a public high school.
Mentors play a vital role in the success of our students. Each student is matched with a mentor when they join the program.
Students graduate from our program better prepared for life after high school, including the hopes of continuing their education.
What does it mean to be a mentor?
Mentors play a vital role in the success of our students and program! Every single student is paired with a mentor.
- Mentors are cleared through the school district, this includes fingerprinting and FDLE background checks.
- Training is provided to all new mentors and we act as your contact for any questions, problems or concerns.
- Weekly mentor sessions are encouraged, for at least 30 minutes each session.
- Mentoring sessions can take place both in-person and virtually.
- All in-person mentoring takes place on the school campus, during school hours.
- Virtual mentoring is monitored via Take Stock staff through an online platform.
Active mentors are invited to attend workshops, field trips, and meetings that are held throughout the year. We also stay connected with our mentors in many different ways including our Facebook group, messaging apps, monthly newsletters and more.
Whether you want to work one on one with a student, lend your professional expertise, or help organize an event, we can match you with a meaningful opportunity to make a positive difference for our students. We still have students in need of mentors. If you’re interested in helping change a young person’s life, please complete this form and we will contact you shortly. For other volunteer opportunities, contact our office at (352) 787-6576.
To break the cycle of poverty for low-income, academically qualified students by providing opportunities for a post-secondary education. We offer college scholarships to students, provide caring volunteer mentors, and instill hope for a better life. Our local program provides students and their families’ inspiration through mentoring, support, and scholarships by empowering them to achieve their dreams of higher education.
A Special Thank You to our Sponsors:
Take Stock in Children serving Lake and Sumter Counties began by awarding scholarships to 13 area students in 1996. Today, we’ve assisted more than 700 Lake and Sumter County students with tuition scholarships. This would not be made possible without our sponsors. Interested in sponsoring a student scholarship? Contact us today!